On Instagram, “smt” most commonly stands for “send me this“. It’s often used as a comment or message to express interest in something posted, typically a photo or video.
Here’s how it works:
- Someone sees a post on Instagram they like, maybe a cool piece of clothing, a delicious recipe, or a stunning travel destination.
- They want to know more about it or find it for themselves.
- They comment “smt” to the poster, hoping they’ll send them details or links to purchase/learn more.
It’s a quick and casual way to ask for information about something you’ve seen on the platform.
Here are some other possible meanings of “smt” on Instagram, though they’re less common:
- Smiling at myself: This interpretation is more likely in captions or descriptions, sometimes used jokingly or self-deprecatingly.
- Something: Used as a shorthand way to say “something” in captions or comments.
- Shoutout for shoutout: This slang term is typically used on social media in general, and less common on Instagram specifically. It indicates a willingness to promote another account in exchange for them promoting yours.